Saturday, July 9, 2011

Heritage Fun

We've had some gorgeous new kits come available at NDISB in the last couple of weeks. I fell in love with the wonderful papers in Happy Day from AneczkaW Designs. Anna has such a unique style and her kits are always fun to work with. This one jumped into my hands screaming "You need to do a heritage page with me!" I know, a lot of people subscribe to the theory heritage pages should be all in neutrals. I'm not one of those people. Our ancestors didn't live in a neutral-colored world. Their world, like ours, was in living color. So I use a LOT of color in the heritage pages I make to preserve my genealogy research. There's every reason to make beautiful, interesting pages. Genealogy should be fun, not boring and humdrum! Our ancestors were living people, many of whom led very interesting, often intriguing lives.

Anyway, I was a little surprised at the thought of heritage with this kit, because as soon as I saw it I thought of the thousands of happy hours my boys spent learning with Blue on "Blue's Clues" and I fully intended to scrap some of those memories. However, it not only works for heritage, it works well! But, you be the judge!

Here's the kit preview.




Here's my layout. Florence and Annie Todd were my 1st cousins, three times removed. Their mother was my great grandfather's oldest sibling, Anna (also called Annie). There was a 20 year span between Anna's birth and Thomas Winter's birth, Annie being the oldest of the 12 Winter children and Thomas being the youngest.

Page credits: Kits: Happy Day from Aneczkaw Alpha: Time In A Bottle (re-colored) a Guild Encore Kit Template: Breakthrough 2 by Helena Jole Font: Harabarahand

I discovered something very interesting when I accidentally filled the shadow layer for the top center curled edge. Shadow layers filled with papers make wonderful shadows. The extra flourish under the curl is not from the paper background. I inadvertently filled the shadow layer, thinking I had clicked the paper curl layer with the beautiful black paper from the kit. It made such a neat shadow, I decided to leave it alone and just fill the paper layer. It's a really neat technique I think I'll use again.

No comments: